(For metal or ceramic braces)
For a successful outcome of your orthodontic treatment the enlisted instructions should be followed.
- Pain: The first week or two following your visit you will feel some discomfort and general soreness in your mouth. Your teeth may be tender to biting pressure for three to five days.
- Rinsing your mouth with cold water can help relieve soreness
- Lips, cheeks and tongue may become irritated for one or two weeks as they toughen and become acclimatized to the surface of the braces. Orthodontic wax can be used to lessen the irritation.
- If discomfort is severe, a painkiller of your preference can be taken
- Eating: For the first few days stick to soft food. You’ll need to protect your braces for as long as you wear them. Food and beverages to avoid are:
- Hard and sticky candy
- Chewing gum/ bubblegum
- Soda/ Carbonated beverages
- Ice cubes
- Biting into bone
- Avoid eating corn on the cob.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to brush and floss regularly when you have braces or orthodontic appliances.
- Brushing three times a day or after every meal is recommended. Food sticking around the brackets and bands can cause gum inflammation and cavities. Make sure that the teeth are completely free of food and plaque. Ortho brushes are advised to use for regular brushing.
- Proxy brushes (Proximal brushes) are helpful when something gets stuck between the teeth. A swift in-and-out motion of the brush between the teeth is advised. Do not use fingers or toothpicks.
- Flossing twice a day is recommended. It is important to floss under your orthodontic wire, gently push up into the gum line and out.
- Amflor mouthwash can be used once a day after brushing and flossing.
- Patients who do not brush regularly and maintain oral hygiene may require frequent appointments for cleaning.
- If you have any emergency such as a broken or loose bracket, dislodged or loose band, a poking wire or any other discomfort, please contact us.
- Regular monthly checkups are extremely important to change arch wires, adjust braces and monitor the overall progress. Success of the treatment depends on these checkups and reviews.
- For any other queries please contact us.